Wednesday, December 10, 2008

How I know I am chopped liver with my children when their grandparents are involved.



While walking through the store, my children, especially my youngest, refuse to walk with me. They want to walk with grandma and go in her cart. Maybe that's because grandma will walk down the toy aisle and let them play with all the toys they like and might, even buy them one or three.



While holding my children, if any one of the four grandparents, enter the room, my lap and arms are immediately abandoned for the grandparent of their choosing. I am a mere afterthought at this point.



I can call my wee ones, threaten, yell, beg, plead and or bribe my monsters always obedient children, to come to me, they ignore me, as if I'm speaking to the wall or myself. Insert grandparent: grandparent calls and kiddies come running with smiles, clean faces and combed hair.



Mind you, I carried these boys for 9,8.5, and 8 months. I endured countless months of all day sickness, I vomited more times than 10 people ever should. My feet grew, my muscles stretched, I labored, delivered and fed them.... this means nothing to them....nothing. I bathe, feed and clothe them. I nurture and protect them, guide and teach them. This doesn't even edge me close to grandparent status.



I can't compete with the grandparents and I imagine that's the way it should be! I laughed today at my little ones. They wanted nothing to do with me in Target...nothing. It was all about grandma and what she was doing. My littlest squirt walked next to her like he was hot stuff. She even let them play in the Thomas aisle for a few moments...that is like gold to my two younger boys.



Wanting grandma is also a blessing while you are shopping! Sure...go in grandma's cart, walk with her... I may actually be able to get a box of cereal or two to the checkout lanes without having to open it first!

1 comment:

Nichole Babin said...

I completely understand you feelings Beth! Jacoba does the same thing when my parents come into town. You would think that I did not exist! I will admit that part of her cleaningness is due to the fact that she does not get to seem them as often as she would like, but it still stings to see her just jump for them! I feel your pain!