Sunday, January 25, 2009

In place....

Last weekend, my husband and father in law, took our two oldest sons to the Monster Truck Rally. If you are not familiar with this phenomenon, it is a young boys dream. Large, loud trucks with big huge wheels drive around in circles, crushing small cars and crashing. Apparently, this is quite exciting....and quite loud. My husband came home and declared it the "Redneck Superbowl". My kids loved it. It also had a motor cross thingy....which I know little about, but am quite certain it's a sport that I don't want my children don't want to participate in. I have no problem with motor cross, but as a mother, am quite fearful of. The thought of my boys, riding on a dirt bike, jumping hills and cars, crashing, breaking limbs and loosing teeth isn't a dream come true for me. They would beg to differ I'm sure.

Anyhow, S seemed disturbed the other day. It had been close to a week since the above mentioned event. I asked him what was wrong.....and I didn't expect his answer. My six year old, brought life back into perspective in a matter of seconds.

He told me about a long line of homeless people. Some were even in wheelchairs he said. He told me how they were asking for money for food. He looked upset and told me that long lines of people walked past them and no one gave them anything....not one little thing.

He was so bothered by it. He couldn't seem to quit talking about it. He said if he'd of had money he would have given them some...and I believe he would have.

In that moment I was so proud of my son. My oldest son, who caused me great pain and anguish during his birth, the child that I prayed and begged God for, rebuked me with his pure and untainted observation.

People were hungry and hurting....and no one helped them.

It's a same, that in this land of plenty, that we have not only adults, but small children, who go to bed hungry, not because they didn't like what mommy made for dinner, but because they haven't eaten all day.

Matt brought to my attention, that Americans spend more money, every year on trash bags, than half the world does on ALL of it's goods. Yet, no one stopped.

I thank God, that my family is in need of nothing. We have wants and desires, but we need nothing. My children have nice clothes, food, heat and running water. My children don't have to worry about getting sick from the water they drink. They are not in danger of starving to death. We are blessed.

That's not to say that it's wrong to have nice things. It isn't wrong to want things. It is wrong to not give. It is wrong to not share with others what Christ has given us. It is wrong to not reach out. It is wrong to not look for ways to help.

Matt and S made up a plan. Daddy told him that he was wrong for not giving those people anything. Together they decided that they were going to send money to someone who can help the homeless people.

Unfortunately, we let our preconceived notions and ideas get in the way of helping. We assume everyone who is begging, must have gotten that way by their own doing. We justify not helping, by assuring ourselves that they wont use the money for food, but for something else. Truth be told, we are all one step away from that same life. I constantly remind myself that ....but for the grace of God, there go I.

Matt during his teaching today, said that he's quite certain that God honors the act of our giving. If the man you gave the money to, chooses to use it for something bad, the Lord is still honored with our willingness to help.

The concern and worry that my 6 year old son showed for those people in need, put me in check.

2 comments:

H. said...

out of the mouth of babes...

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog for sure.....but, back to the "motocross" or "motor cross thingy" as you called it, which by the way I'm offended by just a little. Anyways, it is in every young boys heart and men as well, to live a bit dangerously and on edge. And what better sport than MOTOCROSS!! Self rewarding as well. My daughter crashed and yes she wants to ride again..and she's a girl. hahaha
Get them on a bike you won't regret it.