Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I Have a Dream....

Today was a history making day. We swore in the first African American President. Regardless, of what you think of President Obama, the fact that America, has elected an African American President.

I wish, as Americans, we were farther along in our mindset. I wish that so many people still did not struggle with issues of race....both black, white, Asian, middle eastern, etc. Unfortunately, that fact still remains an issue.

I celebrated yesterday, not because I am an Obama supporter, but because the United States, has done something new and historical. We have stepped beyond and out of our small box and put aside some of our prejudice and elected a man with "brown skin" as my children put it. We now have a black president. I'm certain, many of our older generation would have never imagined a moment like this.

So befitting of this moment was that Martin Luther King day was this week too! I love the irony of it all. Mr. King, indeed did have a dream....and his dream came true. I think that Mr. King, spoke of all races though...in this regard we still have a long way to go.

I loved picking up S from school yesterday. He ran to car, hoped in and immediately started talking about the election events. He recounted, with great accuracy the events...it went something like this though:
A person sang a song
The vice president got sworn in
Then another lady got up and talked
Then a man got up and talked
Then they played some pretty music
Then the President swore.
Then we all cheered...the whole school cheered.

I love it! I especially loved that he said, the President swore! He was so excited. I was excited that he was excited. It's quite possible that part of his excitement stemmed from getting to watch TV in school...but who am I to judge!

I loved Ms. Franklin's sassy hat and found myself strangely drawn to watching YoYo Ma and Itzhak Perlman play with their group. I'm not sure I've ever seen men love their music like that....they play with such passion and grace. They are captivating....! If you missed it...please take a minute or four, to watch it. By the middle of the song, the passion with which these men play will make you smile!

Regardless of your feelings for Mr. Obama, I hope that you too, can appreciate the beauty of it all and trust that our Lord is in control of all!

1 comment: