Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Mommy moment

I have to take a moment to brag on my oldest boy..my little love bug. He is in the highest reading group! I was so thrilled! I of course didn't make a big deal out of the level he's on. We just praised him for his great reading skills. Secretly though, Matt and I are thrilled that he's doing so well!

I had that moment today...that Mom moment.
A moment where you do something, out of instinct and pure adrenaline.

I went to pick the boys up from my moms. I needed to hurry, because my sister was waiting at the house for me to babysit 3 of her kids.

I went over and picked Owie up off the chair, as, at that exact moment, he was unwilling to leave...after all, grandma had Thomas the Train on for him.

The floor was littered with trains and tracks...normally, my mom would yell to be sure I picked everything up. She knew I was in a hurry - that or she was trying to prevent three more small children from invading her home, so I didn't pick anything up.

I grabbed the boy, turned around and went to walk out. In my haste, I stepped on Trevor the Traction Engine and went flying...

The rest seems to be a blurr...but for those of you who know me, I am no longer a small girl. I am a LARGE woman. No debate about it...I'm a big girl. Owen is a little boy....Mommy falling with baby in arms....scary thought.

One of my sisters was in the room and saw the whole thing. She immediately jumped up to see if I was ok. It hurt....BAD!!!

I landed, knees first, on the gound with nothing to break my fall...all of my pounds fell right on my knees.

Somehow, if my fall, I managed to cradle Owen in my arms and gently lay him on the floor. I don't know how, but I did it.

My only thought was: Don't drop him, don't fall on him...and I didn't!

My mom came in the room and asked what happen...my sister said the sweetest words I've heard in a long time: "She sacraficed herself to keep her son safe, that's what happened". Then my ever so loving and gentle mother said; " You didn't hurt your ankle again did you?"

Owen was certainly startled and fussed briefly. I know have quite the bruise on one knee and swollen and sore knees to boot.

No major damage done for me or Owen...I wish I could say the same for the train track I demolished and the poor Trevor train. They didn't whether so well!

No comments: