Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Laundry Day

We are all about teaching the children to help. We want them to learn to "pitch in" around the house without any type of reward. You can frequently hear me say, in response to a "but, I didn't play with that toy" --- "Well, mommy didn't wear your clothes or spill this,(insert item), on the floor, but I am washing it aren't I". They have started to nix the I didn't use it excuse and just agree to help. Some days punishment must ensue when one refuses to help.

One of the big things I'm trying to get the boys to do is help put their clean clothes away after I fold them. I realize that they often make it to the drawer and are half unfolded and often stuffed/crammed in, but that's ok. The point is they are doing the work. I often have to remind myself that not everyone does it like me.

Well, Mr. O, is typical third/last child form, is a spoiled little bugger. Don't get me wrong, by many standards, all of my children are horribly spoiled, but O....well, he's another story.

He is your typical youngest child. He's learned that screaming often gets you your way quickly and that your big brothers will often clean up fast so you don't have to. The other day I told him he needed to put his clothes away too. I asked M to help him by opening his drawer for him. His dresser is high and the drawers are quite long, you really need to open them with two hands and O was holding a mountain of pants bigger than he was.

He ran out pleased with his accomplishment and was rewarded with a high five and good job. I went in a bit later to hang up some shirts and this is what I found:


I LOVED it! It gave me a good laugh and made me proud. He clearly put quite a bit of effort into shoving those pants in there! It must have taken even more effort to try to push the drawer shut!

I was quite impressed with his first attempt at putting his own laundry away. We will practice more next time!

No comments: