Wednesday, March 25, 2009

False Advertising

I bought a new scale.


Yes, after 10 years, I purchased a new scale. I found it on clearance at my home away from home, Target. It's even digital. Our old, boring, and slightly broken scale was an analog scale, that you had to set 6 pounds over to get an accurate weight. Even with the 6 pounds, it was often difficult to get an exact reading because of how small the numbers where.

Unfortunately, the numbers and my clothing doesn't lie! It's been coming for a long, long, long time. Almost 7 years to be exact. The weight has continued to pile on. I've allowed myself to balloon to well over 200lbs...can't believe I just typed that, even though at the site of me, it's quite obvious.

The smallest I have been in the last 7 years was right after I deliverd my second son. The horrible sickness, that lasted the whole pregnancy, helped me get down to the smallest I'd been in a long time. Sadly, I managed to pack it all right back on.

I have gained, in the almost nine years that Matt and I have been married, a total of 110 pounds. No lie, no exaggeration. 110 pounds. I have also gained, three sons, high blood pressure and an increased heart rate. Three of those things I could never live without, the other two can go.

It is for those three boys that I need to stick with it this time. I am 30 years old folks...THIRTY! Too young to be dealing with this weight. Not to mention, my poor husband...I laugh and tell him that he should sue me for "false advertising", as the package he has now, looks NOTHING like the one he signed up for! He of course, is sweet, loving and ever attracted to me, despite the changes!

I have tried Weight Watchers several times and know, without a shadow of a doubt, that it works and is a wonderful program. I, unfortunately, have too much freedom on that program and don't stick with it...not to mention that everytime I have ever joined, I end up pregnant!

I am always leary of fad diets and the results. I know it often ends in severe weight gain in the end. I have decided though that something must be done.

I have decided Slim Fast is my new found friend. I researched the plan some and found it much more conducive to my lifestyle than I thought. The ease and lack of planning that is involved in it works well for me. It requires little thought and actually tastes pretty good! I get to eat every two hours, and get a good dinner. I've changed what I eat and what my snacks are. Soon, I plan to include regualr exercise into this routine. One step at a time....

The only down fall to the Slim Fast is getting my system used to that much dairy....it wasn't pleasant folks. I am getting used to it though and find it a bit easier to tolerate! I should thank my husband and sons for tolerating it too!!

It's been almost one week since I started. I failed to weigh myself when I first started, but am quite certain that I am down, close to 10 pounds! I feel better than I have in a while and found myself less sluggish.

So far, I'm sold! I'll keep you posted as I go. I also intend to switch over to a Weight Watcher program, once I loose a good chunk of the weight to try to maintain my loss!

3 comments:

I may not be perfect...but I'm a work in progress... said...

Congrats on the loss! Believe me...I know how hard it is to lose the weight...ugh I know I've put on like 65lbs or so since Steve and I got married... I'm glad that I started working more nights now....Since Feb 16th I've lost about 17lbs. I just need to get a little more exercise in during the days now... I'm now switching back to the South Beach diet since my doctor wants me to totally cut my carbs...plus my mom's doctors want her to go on it for her diabetes so we're all doing it and hopefully will keep each other accountable. I can't wait to hear about the updates with the slim fast... YOU CAN DO IT!! :) I know that I can totally tell the difference in the weight that I've lost...lots more energy. HUGS!!

Erin McG said...

Beth this is awesome and I am routing for you from VA!! Congrats on the weight you've already lost and keep up the good work. I've been eating the Slim Fast Meal bars for lunch and they not only take care of my sweet tooth but they fill my belly too. I look forward to reading many more of your weight loss blogs!

H. said...

You are already beautiful but it's cool you want to become healthier...look forward to hearing about your progress...YOU CAN DO IT!! Phil 4:13