Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Who Knew

Who would imagine that a bag of dried pinto beans, a few trains, a cookie sheet, a spoon and a toddler would bring hours of fun, not to mention peace! He had such a wonderful time pushing those beans all around. He would load them in his cargo cars and crash them. He laughed and chattered away the whole time!



I tried to get him to look at me and smile...this is the face my sweet O gave me. He was just too busy working to pay me much attention.

He kept telling me - "Beans are rocks mommy". I told him, before he started playing, that these beans were raw and he shouldn't eat them. As is par for the course with my rebellious always obedient children, he only tried to eat the beans twice! He loves pinto beans...any bean really. One or two bites of dried pinto beans was all he needed to convince him that mommy was right on this one!

I love his sweet, hardworking, little hands!



For more awesome and kid friendly ideas, check out MckMammas blog. She had a bunch of fun ones! I'd heard of doing this with rice, but the thought of rice stuck in the grooves of my hardwood floor was more than I could handle for one day. The beans were simple and an easy clean. As a matter of fact, we left them on the tray, ready for a fun day of play tomorrow.
M and S, who wanted nothing to do with the idea at first, saw how much fun their little brother was having and begged to join in the fun! They even shut off the computer! This kept them busy until dinner - which was 45 minutes and they begged to keep playing. O played for almost 2 hours. That's right folks...2 hours! A 2.5 year old sat and played for 2 hours and only stopped once to go potty!

1 comment:

H. said...

very cool hands on activity...i want to play !!!!