Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Life Lessons and Theology

I had a long conversation with M the other day about the ocean. This conversation, was of course, inspired by an episode of Sponge Bob, as all our great conversations are....
M: Mommy, is the ocean real.
Mom: Yes, it's beautiful. One day, we will go a see it.
M:(insert jumping up and down) I can't wait to see the ocean.
M: Are jelly fish real?
Mom: Yes, they are very real.
M: Can you catch them like Sponge Bob does?
Mom: No. You can catch them, but not like Bob does, and you really wouldn't want to.
M: Why?
Mom: When mommy was a little girl, she and grandma got stung by jelly fish in the ocean.
M: Did it hurt, did you cry, what did you do?
Mom: Wasn't horrible, yes it hurt a little bit.
M: NEVER MIND! I'm never going to the ocean.
That was the end of that conversation. I'm certain, I have now traumatized my child, and have made it so that he will never swim in the ocean!

S is always asking me questions about deep, theological things. Things I rarely know the answer to.
A few days ago, while at the eye doctor, he wanted to know who made tornadoes and why. He wanted to know if God made tornadoes, why does he let them happen? He then wanted to know if one would come here....The only thing I could answer is that if one came here, we have a plan of what to do and that we trust in the Lord and his plan for our lives. If was hard to explain the whole "God allows things to happen because of our choices" thing to a 6 year old. I did try though.

On a silly note....S has been complaining about his eyes not seeing well and being blurry. I asked him what was blurry.
Is it blurry up close? yes
Is it blurry far away? yes
Is this blurry (holding something in front of him)? (squinty eyed) yes
What isn't blurry? Nothing. Everything is blurry.

I assured him he was going blind then...and that seemed fine with him. I told the eye Dr. and so did S. S told him how everything was blurry. The kind and understanding opthamologist told S that his eyes were still perfect...but that maybe one day, he could get glasses. That seemed to end the blurry vision.

O has been talking up a storm. He's trying to tell us stories now and has taken to calling one of his grandmas or MAS as he calls them, by her first name, Nancy. It's quite funny!

No comments: