Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter Bunny

The boys will get a note in the morning from the Easter Bunny or Easser Bunny as O calls him. The note is simple and the first from the bunny. Santa always leaves a note, but the bunny never has.

I had a conversation with M tonight about the bunny. He was asking if the bunny would bring him a new train. I told him no, he probably wouldn't. I let him know that the bunny is on a tight budget. He asked how the bunny got the toys...I told him that he has to buy them at the store. He then went on to ask it the bunny was as big as our house and all sorts of other odd questions. I just nodded and smiled and continued to peel our decorated eggs to make deviled eggs (which S was less than thrilled with. He didn't want his eggs peeled).

We are constantly talking to the boys about the true meaning of holidays and reminding them of why we celebrate. The 4th of July we celebrate our freedom that innocent men fought and died for, Christmas we celebrate Christ's birth, Good Friday, we celebrate that Christ died for our sins, Easter we celebrate our risen Lord...and the list goes on.

Tonight, after hiding the baskets for the boys and trying to come up with a master plan to get three boys dressed, baskets found, picture taken and still arrive at church by 8am to help with the Easter breakfast, I wrote this note:

S, M, and O:
I have hid your baskets in a tricky place. I hope you can find them. REMEBER the real reason we celebrate Easter: Jesus died and rose again! Love, the Bunny.

Hopefully, it doesn't seem sacreligious. I realize some people don't celebrate with bunnies and Santa, but we have chosen to allow our children these simple things with the reminders of what the real reason we celebrate is.

No comments: