Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ballet Lessons

I saw a ballet for the first time on Saturday night. My MIL bought tickets for my sister in law, my niece Gillian, and myself. It was a surprise Christmas gift for all the girlies in the family! Since we are sorely outnumbered by boys...11 to 4...she thought it would be a nice thing for us to do.
We decided to make a night of it and went to a yummy dinner at Johnny Carino's before the show began. Their Cesar salad was delicious and I have a great pasta dish for dinner with sundried tomatoes, shrimp and chicks...mmmmm!
This post isn't about my dinner, as delicious as it was, so I will continue!
I learned a few things about ballets. They are as follows:

First and foremost, something MUST be done about MALE ballet attire. Not the males in attendance, but the dancers. There pants were quite visually insulting. I thought, at one point, poking my eyes out would be better than watching them dance in their spandex tights.

One would think...just don't look there. It's a ballet folks. The point is to watch them jump and twirls and leap and squat and bend and jump some more (all while wearing bright white spandex tights), all of these things are done with LEGS, which are attatched to...well you know.

A simple costume adjustment would fix this problem...a simple "flap" in the front would be better than nothing. The chronic "wedgie" they had from the tights was at least bearable...but the front...not so much.

On a postive note, the ladies costumes were gorgeous. We saw Swan Lake and I found the Swan costumes stunning, especially the black ones they wore. The were unbelievably gorgous and glittery. It was exactly what I thought they would look like...the ones I saw as a little girl...the ones I would have died to wear. Now people would die if they saw me in one.

Some ballerinas are HORRIBLY thin.

Ballet dancers have HUGE leg muscles...even the skinny ones. They are all muscle.

I'm not sure how the girls stand on their toes like that. I know I've read/heard that their feet can become horribly disfigured after years of dancing...I can believe that.

Watching a ballet on tv is NOTHING like seeing on in person. It doesn't compare.

After the first 3 acts I was kind of done with the whole thing. I found the last dance wonderful though!

The whole story of Swan Lake was difficult for me to grasp for some reason. It was hard for me to envision the prince dancing in the palace with a swan and the queen just being ok with it all...I know it's a fairy tale!

I know why I am a "boy mom". At several points during the ballet, I actually found myself grinning at the thought of some of the dancers leaping in the air and then bouncing off of each other! Only a boy mom would think of things like that.

I feel it needs mention again...the male dancers looked extremely inappropriate...there has to be a better alternative for them.

No comments: