Thursday, May 21, 2009

Picture This

The doors in our home have great woodwork. It's an older home and when my brother in law started redoing the house, he tried to keep with the integrity of the home. This woodwork is gorgeous, but it can be a pain, as it has tiny pieces and corners that are not child friendly and have broken more than once.

Our most recent breakage was a piece of wood trim from the boys door. It has come off due to the relentless door slamming it has received in the last few months. Our oldest and then middle son have taken to slamming doors in protest. This action caused the piece of trim to first come loose and then finally come off.

I have placed the trim in the living room corner, as a constant reminder to my dear husband to fix it. I can do many things and have been known to fix multiple things in this house...woodwork is not my specialty though. Give me a clogged drain or furniture to move and I'm on it. Hammers and I don't get along all that well though.

Today I was getting ready for the day. I am drying my hair and brushing my teeth in the bathroom. I look out to see a piece of wood trim, perched rather haphazardly across my living room table (a hope chest my mom gave me).

I lean out the bathroom door and ask M to please put that back and to be careful with it. He stops for a minute and says "why"? I answer him with the obvious answer - I don't want it broken and their are sharp nails sticking out of it.

M stops briefly and then responds back: "Oh, don't worry about those nails mom, I turned the wood over so they are facing down toward the table and not up"....NICE!

I told him to immediately put it back...thankfully, he obliged and my table suffered no harm. It made perfect sense to him though. It's safe to put the nails facing down ON the table....sheesh.

The other day, S, was unhappy with a decision that we made for him. He told us: "Whoa...HOLD THE PHONE". I'm often afraid of what his teen years have in store for us!

O has become our little chatter box. I knew that day would come. He was slow to talk, but now if chatting up a storm. His recent fascination is with my earrings. He calls them "rings". The other day, he told me to take his ears off and put his ears with rings on. We then had a conversation about how "rings" are for mommy's ears, not for little boys ears. He seemed ok with that explanation...at least for now. I'm sure that won't be the first conversation I have with my boys regarding earrings - at least for now, it's a fight I can win!

Matt was praying with the boys the other night before bed. M stopped him and said: "Who do we pray to again dad?"...Matt said, we have failed miserably!!

O also told me to take his ears off because they hurt.

While at a yard sale this week, M, found a great treasure. A full bag of plastic Sponge Bob toys that came in Burger King Happy Meals. He begged daily to go to Burger King during that shameless promotion that they did. We only obliged twice. Today, he hit the jackpot. He found a bag of roughly 6 of them for a dollar. My mom tried to convince him to pick something else and she would give him the extra money. He said "no thanks" and happily bought his toys. He said he couldn't wait to call his daddy and tell him about his buy. He proclaimed quite loudly, "This is such a great deal" and skipped down the sidewalk.

No comments: