Saturday, May 9, 2009

Just Ask


If you wanted more attention for Mother's Day, all you had to do is ask...is what I said to my mom as they wheeled her out of the ambulance at 12:45 this morning. She laughed, in between bouts of dry heaving.

I hate when my mom is sick. She's as tough as nails and isn't one to complain when she doesn't feel good. She rarely gets sick, so when my sister called and said mom wanted me to come right over, she didn't feel right, I immediately got dressed and ran out the door to her house...I literally ran. Thankfully, she lives across the street, because I am far too fat and way to out of shape to run any farther. My run was further encouraged by the ambulance that pulled in before me.

I was quite concerned by this point and ran in to see my mom heaving in a trash can and as white as a sheet. I beat the EMS in by a few minutes and asked my mom what was going on. She told me how she was feeling and I quickly had her diagnosed with vertigo and a panic attack.

She's had bouts of vertigo before and I suffer from it myself at times, but nothing as severe as my mom experiences. Unfortunately, her father died of a heart attack at 40 years of age and that causes extra concern for all of us. Anytime, something out of the ordinary comes up, we want to get her checked out.

My dad has been gone on a week long preaching trip and my mom was watching one of my nieces over night. Thankfully, one of my sisters was staying the night and the other had just gotten home from a rehearsal dinner.

We rode to the ER...which was an interesting ride. My sons were horribly jealous that I got to ride in an ambulance. I assured them it wasn't as much fun as they thought.... My poor mom got sick when ever they made her move. She stood up and got sick, rolled her over, she got sick...it was so sad.

They pumped her full of fluids - another thing I am always on her for. She doesn't drink enough. Gave her some Antivert and the wonder drug Zofran (I must admit I was jealous that she got it IV push, I would have killed for Zofran through an IV when I was pregnant with M. I'd will myself not to throw those things up before they dissolved). She was feeling much better within the hour and was laughing and joking. She still looked horrendous and was in no shape to run a marathon, but the room was no longer moving and she hadn't thrown up in a while.

We were glad to hear that all of her test results came back good and that it was indeed a vertigo flare up. She is feeling much better today and rested all day.

I thank the Lord for a mom that is healthy and loving. She is not just my momma, she's my dearest friend. She was merely a child herself when I was born, but together she and my dad overcame insurmountable odds and raised 5 children.

I am going to have to remind her though that tomorrow is all about me, because she got all the attention this weekend!

No comments: