Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I lost again

Again, I lost the coveted, "Mother of the Year", award. This time, my actions, caused bodily harm to my child. I am of course being overdramatic, but if you take a minute to check out M's face in these photos, you will see that some "harm", was in fact done.


The story is simple enough. We attended a birthday party. It was Sunday evening, after church. We stayed a little bit late...I think we left at 9. If you are our children, that is late. Our boys are in bed and typically fast asleep by this time. Most nights, they can be found in their beds, reading by 730 and lights out by 8. Yes, we are those parents, the ones whose kids are in bed while it's still light out...but we have THOSE kids that don't sleep in. They are up by 7am, regardless of their bedtime.
We got home and M, appeared to be asleep in his booster seat. I grabbed an armload of stuff, opened the van door, and tickled him. I told him to wake up...it was time to go in the house. Our boys OFTEN fake sleep in the car. They do this so that we will carry them in. We do oblige them and do this, but not as often. The older two are 7 and 8 and well over the acceptable "carrying" weight. Most nights, I say something silly and they laugh, with their eyes closed, and "wearily" drag themselves out of the van. This night was no exception...or so I thought.
M, giggled, opened his eyes and threw his head back with laughter. I picked him up and set him down on the driveway. He started whining that I wouldn't carry him, but I told him I couldn't. We had too much to carry in the house that night. I started toward the house, when the whining turned to screaming. My husband then started yelling to me. I turned around and saw M, laying face down in the driveway. Yes, face down.
I dropped my stuff and ran to pick him up. I got in the house and started to asses the damage done. Matt came in and kept asking M, why he did that...we couldn't figure it out! When Matt came around the van, he said M, was sitting on his knees with his hands in his pockets. He must have sat down like that on the driveway after I set him down.
Matt said the next thing he saw was M tip over...face foward. He didn't even try to put his hands out in front of him. He just feel. If you know M, this story isn't that unbelievable...in fact...it's not surprising either.
I checked his sugar, after determining that his face was ok. His sugar was fine and M said he felt fine too. I got him ice, jammies and a drink and put him in his bed. I asked him what happened and his explanation was this:

"I don't know mom. All I remember thinking is that I was REALLY, REALLY tired".

We are thinking that, he wasn't fully awake when I put him on the driveway. He must have sat down on his knees...and then fell asleep.

No mom of the year award for me folks.

No comments: